Trump says gunman who opened fire at White House checkpoint had ‘possible obsession’ with executive mansion

News Room
4 Min Read

President Trump claimed the crazed gunman who opened fire outside the White House had a “possible obsession” with the Executive Mansion as he praised the Secret Service and law enforcement.

“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure,” the president wrote on Truth Social just after midnight Sunday.

“The gunman is dead after an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service Agents near the White House gates.”

Nasire Best, 21, armed with a revolver, walked up to a security checkpoint near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue when he opened fire at about 6:10 p.m.

Best fired off several shots before he was taken down by fast-acting agents stationed at one of the various checkpoints on the perimeter of the White House complex.

Best, who believed he was Jesus Christ, was well known by the Secret Service for repeatedly loitering around various entry posts and had violated a previous court order to stay away from the White House.

He was busted back in July 2025 when he attempted to cross a White House checkpoint without authorization, failing to listen to officers’ orders and claiming he was Jesus Christ as he begged to be arrested, the Associated Press reported.

A “Pretrial Stay Away Order” was issued against Best, ordering him to stay away from the White House.

A bench warrant was issued in August after a notice of “noncompliance” against Best, who didn’t appear for a subsequent hearing.

A bystander was reportedly shot during the hail of gunfire.

Secret Service quickly put the White House on lockdown and told reporters to gather on the north lawn and to run into the press briefing room. After about half an hour, the lockdown was lifted.

A motive behind the shooting wasn’t revealed.

Trump used Saturday’s shooting as additional justification for the construction of his new ballroom, which would replace the East Wing of the White House.

“This event is one month removed from the White House Correspondents’ Dinner shooting, and goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents, to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C.,” Trump said. “The National Security of our Country demands it!”

Trump and first lady Melania Trump were in attendance at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner at the Washington Hilton hotel on April 25, when suspected gunman Cole Allen allegedly opened fire outside the ballroom, striking one Secret Service Agent.

Trump was in the White House on Saturday, previously sharing that he had wrapped up a joint call with leaders from several Middle Eastern countries as they worked to reach a peace agreement with Iran.

“I am in the Oval Office at the White House where we just had a very good call,” Trump wrote on Truth Social at 4:30 p.m.

Read the full article here

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *