More than 100 illegal migrants were nabbed as part of a five-day mass deportation operation in New York state, the feds said Friday.
Of the 133 people busted by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement, 20 had criminal charges or convictions on their records, including three convicted killers, the agency said in a statement.
Nine of those swept up in the raids, which took place March 24-28, and been previously deported before getting back into the US, ICE said.
The group of murderers snatched by ICE included a 49-year-old from Trinidad and Tobago, a 32-year-old from El Salvador and a 70-year-old from the Dominican Republic.
The agency said it also arrested South African citizen Marcell M. Meyer, 43, who was charged with distributing and possessing child porn in Sackets Harbor, NY.
Meyer allegedly used social media to share child porn to others, including an undercover US Homeland Security agent he thought was a 13-year-old girl, according to federal prosecutors.
The recent operation was conducted alongside seven other federal agencies across western, central, and northern New York, ICE Homeland Security Investigations Buffalo Special Agent in Charge Erin Keegan said in a statement.
Agents busted 84 illegal migrants from the Buffalo and Rochester areas, and 49 from Syracuse, Albany, Rouses Point and Massena, according to ICE.
The feds also raided worksites as part of the operation, resulting in 18 arrests for immigration violations, according to ICE.
“I am grateful for the professionalism, dedication and support from all of our partners during this week-long operation to remove dangerous alien offenders from our New York communities,” said ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations Buffalo acting Deputy Field Office Director Philip Rhoney.
The Trump administration has already deported more than 100,000 migrants from the US and arrested 113,000 others as part of its mass deportation effort that kicked off on Jan. 20.
Read the full article here