CABAZON, California — The house where little Emmanuel Haro was murdered is undergoing major renovation as the family of the little boy’s killer dad tries to make the community move on.
Jake Haro’s stepfather and former landlord Anthony Scott Cosentino revealed that he is putting up a tall fence around the property in the desert village of Cabazon to keep the world out.
Nobody was at the isolated, ranch-style house during a recent visit by The California Post, but repairs to the fence were underway, and fresh concrete had been poured for the front walkway.
Names had been playfully drawn into the fresh cement by relatives hoping to erase the home’s horrific history.
“I’m gonna put a fence up around that property and the rest of the world can move on,” Cosentino told The Post from his own home nearby.
The killing of 7-month-old Emmanuel — whose body has still never been found — gripped the nation when his parents reported the tot missing in August 2025, initially claiming “Mexican” kidnappers knocked out Rebecca and snatched her son while she was changing his diaper in a parking lot.
The parents’ story quickly fell apart and attention shifted to dad Jake Haro, who was convicted of horrendously abusing his daughter from a previous marriage, leaving her permanently disabled. In that case, he was let off with counseling instead of prison.
Prosecutors charged both Jake and Rebecca with murder, alleging that they tortured and abused Emmanuel before killing him in their secluded house, which is about 20 miles west of Palm Springs.
Jake Haro, 32, copped to murdering Emmanuel last October and was sentenced to 25 years to life a month later.
Rebecca, 41, is still awaiting trial. She made a grim-faced court appearance on Jan. 21, where she appeared haggard. Her next court date is in March.
Cosentino said that the whole family has suffered from the scrutiny on Jake and Rebecca. One family member was fired from her job “just because of the name,” he said.
The Haros’ former house has been labeled “Justice for Emmanuel Rd” on Google Maps — a nod to the massive online campaign that sprung up during the search for little Emmanuel.
After Emmanuel was reported missing, his parents gave a weepy news interview begging the “kidnapper” to return him, but the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department announced detectives found inconsistencies in the Haros’ tale.
Jake and Rebecca were arrested and charged with murder a week later.
Riverside County sheriff’s deputies revealed that they responded to a report of suspected child abuse near the sporting goods store on the same day Emmanuel vanished, and that the Haros were linked to that probe.
Both parents maintained their innocence, but Jake was already on probation for savagely abusing his 10-week-old daughter from a previous marriage in 2023.
The abuse left Jake’s daughter bedridden and maimed for life, yet the California judge who presided over the case gave probation and mandatory counseling instead of prison — overriding protests from prosecutors.
Even from a jail cell, Rebecca Haro stuck to the bogus kidnapping story.
“I want to be out looking for my baby. … I will not give up. I will not give up on my baby,” Rebecca Haro told Southern California News Group on Aug. 24.
Soon after his wife made that claim, Jake was spotted with sheriff’s deputies in a remote field, apparently helping search for Emmanuel’s body.
In another shocking twist, investigators reportedly used a fake inmate to dupe Jake into admitting he killed Emmanuel and dumped the kid’s body in a trash can, News Nation’s Brian Entin reported, citing sources.
Rebecca’s family also has a history of violence: In 2017 her brother James Beushausen was convicted of first-degree murder after his girlfriend was found shot in the head in the bathtub in her Palm Springs apartment.
Beushausen, 43, who is serving a 50-year sentence, was convicted of murdering Jaylynn Amanda Keith, then 27, and staging it to look like a suicide.
The Haros’ former neighbors, too, have battened down the hatches, with every house on the street barricaded behind locked fences with security cameras and/or “no trespassing” signs.
“NO TRESPASSING THIS MEANS YOU” read one hand-painted sign near the Haro house.
The site has become an object of grim fascination for followers of the case, but Cosentino claimed fans and media have been relentless toward his family, harassing them and twisting any comments they have made out of context.
“These people shouldn’t even have phones. They don’t know how to handle information,” he told The Post, refusing to go into further detail.
Download The California Post App, follow us on social, and subscribe to our newsletters
California Post News: Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, X, YouTube, WhatsApp, LinkedIn
California Post Sports Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, X
California Post Opinion
California Post Newsletters: Sign up here!
California Post App: Download here!
Home delivery: Sign up here!
Page Six Hollywood: Sign up here!
Read the full article here
